Thursday, January 26, 2006

Sometimes, things we know are soon to come upon us are like that ol' crazy Aunt in the basement...everyone knows she is there, but no one wants to talk about her. As you know, flying small airplanes has been a lifelong dream and passion. As well, you know that I finally got the chance to pursue my Private Pilot's license, with a lot of help from BD, and successfully flew a checkride last March to achieve my dream.

Along with the Private Pilot's license goes a medical certificate that must be renewed every 2 years. Mine was obtained on January 2, 2004, and expires on January 31, 2006. It is required to renew the medical each 2 years in order for me to legally exercise the privileges of my Private Pilot's license...no medical, no flying (by myself as Pilot in Command). I went to take it this past Tuesday and unfortunately was disqualified from renewal. I am now in a "holding" pattern for who know how long until I receive from the FAAs Aviation Medical Evaluation center a clearance for the AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) who administered my physical for the renewal to re-issue my medical.

Soon after I started lessons, I had an event that caused my vision to "double" out of my right eye. It was not due to any disease, stroke, or other neuro-cardio-vascular malady...I just got mad at a couple of things at work, grew ever more angry over them, and apparently stemmed the flow of blood to the nerve that controlled the muscle that kept my left eye in synch with my right (works backwards...). And for the next 3 months, I couldn't fly. The tests I had to take (MRI for stroke, HyperThyroidism scans, Carotid Artery scans, migraine headaches exams, etc) were all negative, and it eventually cleared up and I have been fine.

But double vision is a disqualifying condition when it comes to FAA flight physicals, so as of January 31 I am grounded until the FAA makes a decision...kind of disheartening to say the least.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that!

9:14 PM  
Blogger anne said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Wood. I certainly hope this disqualification will not last long.

5:26 PM  
Blogger phdendron said...

Wood - I have admired your success in getting your license (I have kind of wanted to do the same thing). I hope the problem clears up soon.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

poop. any idea how long it will take for them to decide?

10:57 PM  
Blogger anne said...

Sarah! I hope you don't say that word to Ellen...I spent a good 45 minutes to an hour of collective time trying to get Ellen to stop saying that word over Christmas vacation! :)

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home