Friday, October 27, 2006

When I was a little boy living in Des Moines, IA, my Aunt Vera had one of these Western Electric, Henry Dreyfuss "302" model dial telephones. I used to sit on the floor in her bedroom and play with it for hours when we visited. I loved to hear the clickety-clickety of the dial, and loved the bells when someone called...

Ever since, but more seriously over the past several years, I have wanted one to put on my desk. They are plentiful, actually, in all manner of condition, via restorers and on e-bay. But I wanted one that was made in my birth year and one that was the model "411" which is the first 2-line phone for commercial use. Those I found that met both conditions were much more than I wanted to pay as the "411" is a very rare phone to find.

Anyway, Wednesday I saw this one on the internet, ordered it, and it came in today. And it is stamped "7/50" on the bottom plate as advertised!! I am one happy camper! It's Christmas early for me!!

 Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you would have thought Wood was cut loose in a candy store when this phone arrived. He was all but jumping up and down and we had to hear the phone ring several times and turn the dial to hear the clickety clack. Such a guy ;-)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

yay!!! how exciting.

10:08 AM  
Blogger anne said...

That IS a cool phone. Can I dial on it when I come to visit next?

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home